Landlords insurance

Landlords need insurance to cover damage

If you’re a landlord, make sure your insurance covers the property, and that the cover is for a rental property. The Residential Tenancies Act 1986 requires you to pay the premiums charged for that insurance.

Residential Tenancies Act 1986

Check exactly what your policy covers. Some insurers cover issues to do with tenancy (for example, vacancy periods and damage by the tenant).

Talk to your insurance company about their requirements for making claims. Some insurers need landlords to prove they’ve completed a thorough tenancy selection process before honouring damage claims.

You may also choose to insure any chattels (such as furniture) that are listed in the tenancy agreement. Any damage to them won’t be covered by the tenant’s contents insurance.